Search This Blog

Monday, October 29, 2012

Work or further studies? Some advice...

Many of my ex-students always ask this... "Sir, should I work after my practicum or should I further my studies?" "If I study, what should course should I take?"

What advice can I give? Well, I don't really know every students' actual situation, nor do I know any of my students to the extent that I know what they are good at and their weaknesses... so here is my generic advice that I once gave a student:

"Actually, it all depends on the individual and their capabilities... because you yourself would know your actual situation and self... but there are several things that must be considered. In my opinion, if ever you ever get the chance to further your studies early, then make the most of this opportunity, because the younger you are, the easier it would be to absorb new knowledge (us oldies need time to learn and change our ways). Anyway, it is never a waste when you start your career using your Master qualification. However, there are always advantages of having years of work experience, because some companies want to see the 5-year work experience block in your CV before recruiting workers for more senior positions. 

However, I feel that is you are capable in all aspects (mental, physical, finance, time, etc.), you may want to start working first, and then negotiate with your employers at your work place so that you can further your studies in part-time mode... what I mean is that you work during the day and study during the night... it is certainly very challenging, but it gives the greatest satisfaction and the ultimate outcome is that you will be more empowered and confident in facing all the challenges in your career."


Original message:
Sebenarnya ikut pendirian dan kemampuan masing2, sbb anda sendiri yg tahu keadaan sebenar... Tapi ada beberapa perkara yg patut dipertimbangkan. Pada pendapat peribadi sy, bila ada peluang nak sambung mengaji awal, ambil kesempatan sepenuhnya, sbb org muda lebih mudah serap ilmu. Lagipun tak rugi ada kelayakan Master bila nak mula bekerja. Tapi ada kelebihan pengalaman kerja, sbb setengah company nak lihat 5thn pengalaman kerja dlm CV sebelum ambil pekerja utk jawatan lagi senior.
Tapi, sy rasa kalau mampu dari semua aspek (mental, fizikal, duit, masa dll), boleh mula bekerja dulu, lepas tu cuba berunding dgn tempat kerja utk sambung part time... Maksud sy kerja waktu pagi dan belajar waktu malam... Memang mencabar, tapi sangat puashati dan outcome ialah anda akan menjadi lagi power dan confident utk menghadapi cabaran dunia kerja.


Hope that helps...

No comments: