Search This Blog

Monday, October 22, 2012

My advice on job and business...

The following is my answer to an ex-student who sounded really frantic about finding a job. I don't fully know about his/her situation, but I can understand his/her anxiety about facing the real world after so long being under the protection of the education system.

"Haish.... I really don't know what to say... because I don't know what situation you are in... may I ask, why you don't want to work? Is there any particular reason? The reason I ask is that I personally believe that working is an essential part of a person's holistic development, because through work, you will develop your people skill, self-confidence, and satisfaction when you overcome all obstacles that come your way. 

However, if you really want to start a business, then you really have to sit down, preferably with several people who are your closest friends that know you, because they normally will give an idea of whether you can handle the business or not... they know you well. They may have ideas to help you with what you want to do, and perhaps you share the same interest, and they may want to get involved. 

As for what business, THAT you have to decide for yourself, but that takes time and careful consideration, because then money that you have now is the only cash that you have, and you don't want to lose it because of bad decisions in business. 

If you ask me, then I would ask you back: What do you like to do? I know of friends who work a steady 9-to-5 job, but also have their side business. One particular clerk likes to sew, so she takes orders all year round. Another that I know, sells convocation flowers, but that is seasonal, and she can only make money during the convocation events. Another office worker bakes cakes. If you sat through my class and did the blog assignment, or the technical group assignment, then you have an idea of e-commerce, and setting up the e-part of business. But the important thing is to have a marketable product or service. Where do you live? Do you have something in your home-town that may have a market outside? For example, if you live in Langkawi or any other places that have cheap chocolates, then maybe you can make a website to sell confectionery. Or another example is buttons and ribbons... I know a manager for a private company that stopped work because she loved doing her on-line sales of ribbons and souvenirs through her blog. 

Also, you have to consider your strong points. That is why I advice my students to draw up a SWOT analysis of yourself. Maybe you are good at dealing with people. Then maybe you can be a wedding planner, or an event manager and start your own business.

However, if you start your own business, then you must have the conviction to do so... it is not something that you can stop and everything is fine. You need to continue until the end, because if you stop, then there is no income. Which is why I advice my students to work first, gain the experience, learn the know-how, build the confidence, and then break out on your own. It is also advisable to find a job that you eventually would want to start your business. For example working for an interior decorator, learn about the suppliers, customer demands, and other tips, and once you know them all, you may want to start your business. Also, working gives you the working capital to start your future business.

I know my answer did not specifically answer your question, but I hope it helps. All the best in all that you do.

Faisal."


PS. Don't get into the following cycle:
Be positive, do better, and achieve greatness.

No comments: